Section Code: 0017 - 0021
Child Protection Act of 2546 (2003)
There shall be a Provincial Child Protection Committee, composed of the Governor as Chairperson of the Committee, Deputy Governor designated by the Governor as Vice-Chairperson, members comprising the Provincial Prosecutor, Permanent Secretary of the Bangkok Metropolis, Chief of Provincial Development, Chief of Provincial Labour and Social Welfare, Chief of Provincial Education, Chief of provincial Public Health, Provincial Police Commissioner, representative from the Provincial Juvenile and Family Court or, in the case where no Juvenile and Family Court exists in the province, a representative from the Provincial Court, representative from the Provincial Observation and Protection Centre, or representative from the Ministry of Justice appointed from officials in that province in the case where there is no Provincial Observation and Protection Centre, and President of the Provincial Administration Organization, and distinguished members appointed by the Governor from experts who have no less than seven years’ experience in the fields of social welfare, teaching, psychology, law, and medicine, two from each field, one out of which shall come from private organizations, including two additional distinguished members appointed from those with apparent experience in child welfare. Chief of the Provincial Social Development and Welfare Office shall act as member and Secretary.
No less than one third of the total number of the distinguished members under the foregoing paragraph must be women.
The Committee may appoint no more than two provincial civil servants to serve as Assistant Secretary.
The provisions under Articles 9, 10, 11 and 12 shall apply mutatis mutandis to the assumption of office, vacation of office, appointment of replacement committee members and the performance of duties of the distinguished members in pursuance of Article 16, save for the power of the Minister under Article 10 (3) and 11, where it is deemed within the power of the Governor of Bangkok Metropolis or Provincial Governor, as the case may be.
The provisions under Articles 13 and 15 shall apply mutatis mutandis to the meetings and appointment of sub-committees or working groups of the Bangkok Metropolis Child Protection Committee or Provincial Child Protection Committee.
The Bangkok Metropolis Child Protection Committee and the Provincial Child Protection Committee shall have the following authority and duties:
- To submit their views to the Committee regarding policies, plans, budgets and measures in respect of social welfare, safety protection and behaviour promotion of the child in accordance with this Act;
- To give advice and recommendations to, and coordinate with, government agencies and private organisations active in the fields of education, social welfare, safety protection and behaviour promotion of the child, as well as to have the authority to inspect nurseries, remand homes, welfare centres, safety protection centres, development and rehabilitation centres, observation centres, or other places related to social welfare, safety protection and behaviour promotion of the child, public and private, within the Bangkok Metropolis or in the provinces, as the case may be;
- To determine guidelines regarding social welfare, safety protection and behaviour promotion of the child in the Bangkok Metropolis or the provinces, as the case may be;
- To raise funds for the purpose of social welfare, safety protection and behaviour promotion of the child in the Bangkok Metropolis or the provinces, as the case may be, and to report to the Committee and the Fund Management Committee on management of funds;
- To examine or summon persons concerned to give statements in case of child abuse;
- To request persons concerned to produce any documents or related evidence or give statements for consideration in the performance of duties according to this Act;
- To monitor, evaluate and inspect the implementation of activities relating to child assistance and behaviour promotion in the Bangkok Metropolis and at the provincial level, as the case may be, and report the findings to the Committee;
- To carry out other acts as assigned by the Committee.
In the performance of duties under this Act, members of Committees and Sub-committees shall be officials under the Penal Code.