Section Code: 0001 - 0005
COPYRIGHT ACT B.E. 2537 (1994)
H.M. KING BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ
Given on the 9th day of DECEMBER B.E. 2537 (1994)
being the 49 year of the present reign.
Chapter 1 : General Provisions
By royal command of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej it is hereby proclaimed that:
Where as it is proper amend the law on copyright, it is hereby enacted by the King's Most Excellency Majesty with the advice and consent of the National Legislature as follows:
This Act is called the "Copyright Act B.E. 2537 (1994)".
This Act shall come into force ninety days after the date of its publication in the Government Gazette.
The Copyright Act B.E. 2521 shall be repealed.
In this Act:
- Author means as a person who makes or creates any work which is a copyright work as defined by this Act;
- Copyright is the exclusive right to execute any act by virtue of this Act regarding the work created by the author;
- Literary work means any kind of literary work including books, pamphlets, writings, printed matters, lectures, sermons, addresses, speeches, and computer programs;
- Computer program is defined as instructions, set of instructions or any other matter, which are used with a computer in order to operate the computer or to generate an output, regardless of the computer language;
- Dramatic work is defined as a work pertaining to choreography, dancing, acting or performance in dramatic arrangement, including a pantomime;
- Artistic work means a work of any one or more of the following characters:
- Work of painting and drawing, that is a creation of configuration consisting of either lines, lights, colors or other matter or the composition of such matter upon one or more materials;
- Work of sculpture is defined as a creation of configuration with physical volume;
- Work of lithography is defined as a creation of a picture through printing process using a printing block or plate to perform the printing;
- Work of architecture is defined as a design of building or construction, an interior or exterior design as well as a landscape design or a creation of a model of building or construction;
- Photographic work is defined as an image created with the use of an image-recording device that allows light to pass through a lens to a film or a piece of glass and developed with a liquid chemical of specific formula or with any process that creates images, or a recording of images with other devices or methods;
- Work of illustration, map, structure, sketch or three-dimensional design with respect to geography, topography or science;
- Work of applied art is defined as a work applying any one or a combination of the works mentioned in (1) to (6) for other uses other than the enjoyment of the merit of the work, such as for functional use, decoration of materials or appliances, or for commercial gain;
- regards to literary work, it must include a translation, a transformation or a compilation by means of selection and arrangement;
- regards to a computer program, it shall include a reproduction by means of transformation, improvement or modification of the program of the essential part without creating a new work;
- concerning a dramatic work, it must include the alteration of a non-dramatic work to a dramatic work or a dramatic work to a non-dramatic work, whether in the original language or another language;
- concerning an artistic work, it must include the alteration of a two-dimensional work or a three-dimensional work to a three-dimensional work or a two-dimensional work or the creation of a model based on the original work;
- concerning a musical work, it must include an arrangement of tunes or an alteration of lyrics, rhythm or melody;
The Minister of Commerce shall have charge and control of the execution of this Act and shall have the power to appoint competent officials and issue Ministerial Regulations for the execution of this Act.
The Ministerial Regulations shall come into force upon their publication in the Government Gazette.