Section Code: 0001 - 0003
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE VICTIM PROTECTION ACT, BE 2550 (2007)
BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX
Given under our Hand this 25th Day of July, BE 2550 (2007);
Being the 62nd Year of our Reign.
His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej is graciously pleased to proclaim that:
Whereas it is desirable to bring into existence a law on protection of domestic violence victims;
Be it enacted by the King's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the National Legislative Assembly, as follows:
This Act shall be cited as the "Domestic Violence Victim Protection Act, BE 2550 (2007)".
This Act shall come into force upon elapse of ninety days from the date of its publication in the Government Gazette.
In this Act:
- "Domestic violence" means any act done with the intention to or in the manner likely to cause harm to the body, mind or health of a family member or to exert coercion or immoral influence over a family member in order to wrongfully cause him to do, not to do or yield to any act, but not including an act done negligently;
- "Family member" means a spouse, a former spouse, a person cohabiting or having cohabited with another husband and wife without civil marriage, a child, an adopted child, a member of a household, as well as any person counting on and living in a family;
- "Court" means a juvenile and family court under the law on establishment of juvenile and family courts and procedure thereof;
- "Relief money" means preliminary compensation for the loss of any money or property incurred by a domestic violence victim in consequence of domestic violence, including the loss of earnings, medical expenses, expenses for new residence and other necessary expenses;
- "Psychologist" means a psychologist under the Code of Criminal Procedure;
- "Social worker" means a social worker under the Code of Criminal Procedure;
- "Competent authority" means a person authorised by the Minister to execute this Act and includes an administrative or police officer under the Code of Criminal Procedure;
- "Inquirer" means a competent authority authorised as a judicial police officer under the Code of Criminal Procedure by the Minister; prescribed that in any locality for want of a competent officer authorised by the Minister, a judicial police officer under the Code of Criminal Procedure shall become an inquirer under this Act;
- "Minister" means the Minister in charge of this Act.